Wednesday, September 25, 2013

W3

I think I was about six years old when I learned that my ancestors were brought from Africa to the American South to be White mens' most important asset. My mom told me "you come from a line of STRONG, HARD-WORKING people." She explained to me that we would do BACK BREAKING work in the hot Southern sun and if we did not work to the masters pleasure we would be brutally and mercilessly beaten with hard leather skin- blistering whips. At six, I felt how I feel now when I think of the matter: perplexed, ANGRY, sad, and for some strange reason I will always wonder why? Why were MY people brought here as slaves to live in a country that promotes our demise and makes it so hard for us to survive. An image that stuck with me from the words of my mother comes from her explanation of washing clothes. "They would take the clothes rub them against the board and stroke back and forth using all their might." The methodical spirit breaking labor that I envision is sorrowful and inhumane but is the same work that brings about beauty and a delightful resilience that testifies to the bold and mighty Negro spirit of my people. My artwork was intended to capture how a simple washing board can be presented as a symbol of the excruciating work that shaped the very character of Negro slaves. I'm glad that I have inherited the strong and resilient traits of my ancestors but my mother said that I would have never have survived as a slave. 



No comments:

Post a Comment