Sunday, December 15, 2013

W12


What a scary thought to be at sea, responsible for killing one of the worlds biggest beast...for your own survival. When I was in the sixth grade I went whale watching. I remember being about 15 miles from shore looking into the dark blue deep sea, I was terrified yet I still wanted to see the 2 ton mammal first hand. When I saw the the blowhole of the nearly prehistoric creature I was amazed at first then inwardly startled then at last amazed again. The blue whale continued to swim past us and onto the Gulf of Mexico. It was such a cool sight that I will always remember. Connecting my experience to that of a sailor I could not imagine having to engage in warfare with that enormous mammal, we are no match for them. Listening to Greenland Whale Fishery I could feel the sorrow and the dread that went with hunting whales. In my drawing I tried to capture the sad feelings and misfortunes that spelled out life or death in whale hunting. 









No comments:

Post a Comment